EEE in Onondaga County
Mon July 21, 2014
Finding of EEE Disease Prompts Pesticide Spraying Set for Tuesday Night
Onondaga County health officials are ready to react to the finding of Eastern Equine Encephalitis in the area. Interim Health Commissioner Michelle Mignano has ordered aerial spraying for the Cicero Swamp, scheduled for Tuesday night between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. The disease, which can be transmitted to humans, along with a high mosquito count led to the decision to spray pesticides. Those who live in the affected area are expected to be contacted. But Mignano has released the following boundaries for the spraying.
The designated spray areas are generally bounded on the north by Route 31, on the west by Northern Boulevard, on the south by Taft Road and on the east by the county line (Chittenango Creek). Roads included in this area are: all or parts of Route 298, Bull Street, Eastwood Road, Island Road, Cicero Center Road, Fergerson Road, Ferstler Road and Oxbow Road.
The pesticide that will be used for aerial spraying is Kontrol. This pesticide is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and the New York State Division of Environmental Conservation for this use. A copy of the pesticide label can be found on the Onondaga County website at http://www.ongov.net/health/documents/MasterLineKontrol30-30label.pdf.
- Stay indoors and keep windows closed for one hour after your area has been sprayed
- Keep pets indoors if possible
- Cover outdoor gardens and rinse vegetables before eating
- Set your window air conditioners to circulate indoor air. It is safe to use your central air conditioning
- Remove children’s toys that are outdoors, any outdoor furniture, and clothes from outdoor clotheslines
- If toys or clothes have been left outdoors, wash each thoroughly with soap and water before using and launder clothes before wearing
- If you are driving during the spraying, close your car windows and vents