WAER Holiday Specials
Join WAER as we celebrate the holiday season with a diverse and unique holiday schedule.
The Splendid Table’s Turkey ConfidentialThursday, Thanksgiving Day from Noon to 2p
On Thursday, November 26, help is on the way for Thanksgiving cooks, kitchen helpers and dinner guests on this, the biggest cooking day of the year. Lynne Rossetto Kasper, award-winning host of public radio's national food show The Splendid Table®, will be available to answer listener questions throughout the live, two-hour program. Quickly becoming a Thanksgiving morning tradition, past shows have included everything from a cross-country trucker cooking his Thanksgiving dinner on the manifold to a panicked first-time cook who didn't realize a turkey needs to be thawed. Lynne handles all questions with wit, expertise and laughter. The call-in number is 1-800-242-2828
My Life as a Wild Turkey
Thursday, Thanksgiving Day at 2p
Stories in My Life as a Wild Turkey:
- World-renowned naturalist Joe Hutto, subject of the Emmy winning BBC documentary "My Life As a Turkey", discusses how he became a wild turkey mother in the hammocks of Florida.
- A pilot marvels at the ninja-like moves of the wild turkey mid-flight.
- The once-scorned bronze-feathered turkey is making a comeback.
- Minnesota Chef Sean Sherman (the Sioux Chef) gives us a taste of pre-contact American Indian cuisine.
- The complicated history of the most well-known reservation food, fry-bread.
- American Indian scholars Anton Treuer and Karenne Wood talk about Native American food traditions.
Marketplace Takes Care of Holiday Business
Thursday, Thanksgiving Day at 7p
The Marketplace team looks at where the holidays meet money. Host Lizzie O'Leary is joined by some of APM's biggest names to explore that intersection, tell some stories, and help you financially navigate the holiday season.